Click here to read some fics written in response to my challenge.
Hello all, and welcome to Ars Amatoria's Ranger Romance Themes! This is a challenge extended to fanfiction writers to explore the height, depth, and breadth of a Ranger relationship through drabbles. Some are very broad, and can be widely interpreted, while others are more specific, but in all cases the thematic word or phrase is meant to inspire a scene that gives the reader insight into one or both members of the couple, how they feel about each other, and what their relationship is all about.
The ultimate goal is to create a set of short stories (or drabbles) that sheds new light on a Ranger pairing… and I would love to see if any ambitious writer can logically and effectively apply all forty themes to one couple.
Here are some guidelines:
- Each set of Themes should feature one couple only. Other characters and couples are free to appear, but if you want to write "Friends" featuring Kim and Tommy and "Dare" featuring Conner and Kira, create two separate sets. See how far you can get with one couple; the more you write about one pair, the more you can explore their relationship.
- Stories don't have to follow the order listed, nor must they be chronological. Post them in the order you write them. But, it's a good idea to mention in the Author's Note when in the series each drabble takes place.
- When possible, consider linking your drabbles to actual Ranger events. Since the stories themselves will be light on plot, referencing events that happened on the series can help create a frame.
- You're encouraged to experiment stylistically. You can consider writing some in first person, others in third person. Or, try one from the perspective of someone else observing the couple interact. Maybe one can consist almost entirely of dialogue; a conversation between the couple. Also, feel free to play with tone; jumping from humor to angst to fluff. Every romance has highs and lows.
- There is no strict length limit, but the Themes are intended to be short. I read somewhere that 500 words is a good guideline for drabble length.
- Since there are two sets of Themes, you are free to pick and choose themes from both sets, combine them all for a total of sixty themes for one couple, or create a whole new set for the Twenty Romance Themes.
- You are free to write about any romantic pairing you wish. However, this site and its companion Fanfiction.net C2 community do not post stories of a mature content, slash, or "Kirommy" featuring romantic interactions between Kira and Tommy prior to her graduation. I also retain discretion on posting entries based on quality.
- Green-Eyed Monster
- Take My Hand
- Worst-Case Scenario
- "Let me tell you a story"
- One Moment
- The Call
- Another Step
- What if…?
So, here's the process. Brainstorm the themes and see where they take you. Hopefully, some of them will inspire inventive scenes in your mind. Then, post them somewhere, and e-mail me with where I can find them.
This isn't a contest. I don't have any prizes. This is merely a challenge, hoping to pique the interest of some eager authors. And I'd love to see a variety of interpretations, and a mix of couples.
Disclaimer: I can't take credit for this idea. This challenge is heavily influenced by the brilliant and pervasive "Royai 100 Themes" that practically blanket the Roy Mustang/Riza Hawkeye 'shipper sections of Full Metal Alchemist fanfiction. The Ranger Romance Themes differ, since they're meant to be generic enough to apply to scores of couples in PR rather than a specific romance, but I tip my figurative hat to the concept, and I hope the Ranger Romance Themes have a tiny fraction of the writer response the Royai 100 have enjoyed.